[Logo] VUE Users Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Login] Login 
If this is your first visit to the new VUE forums, you can login using the same username and password you currently use on VUE's website. If you need an account, please create one through VUE's website. If you have problems, please contact us via the contact form on http://vue.tufts.edu
Updates on development  XML
Forum Index » Developers' Corner
Author Message
Guilherme Torri


Joined: 09/18/2010 03:33:10
Messages: 5
Offline

Dear all,

I really enjoy using VUE to map my research papers.
I still face some glitches with VUE 3.0.2 and the current Zotero applet (both in Linux and WindowsXP). I am considering to join the development and try to fix something.

I see that the Developers' Corner is not very active during the last month. Nevertheless I still see recent commits at SourceForge.

Where is the latest source snapshot? At the website or on SourceForge?
Can you give us an idea of how many people is actively involved on development?
Who are the people "in charge" of the development decisions?
From the snapshots released on the website, how can I know what were the changes? Is there a versioning system?

Regards,



Mike Korcynski

[Avatar]

Joined: 08/08/2008 11:36:13
Messages: 749
Offline

Hi Guilherme,

Your best bet for the latest source is via sourceforge, it's easier to keep in sync then using the snapshot from the website:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuftsvue/develop

svn co https://tuftsvue.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tuftsvue/trunk/VUE2 tuftsvue

run 'ant all' in src/ to build vue. (even if you're going to use an IDE you should run the ant script once it'll generate an additional source file)

We currently has 2 developers actively involved. We also have 2 developers who are not so active at this point but know the code really well. Additionally, we've had code contributions from a number of developers outside the Tufts community this year (4-5) but I'd only say 1 of that group is really active.

I can best answer questions about development decisions.

I'd just answer the last question by saying work against svn it'll keep you saner for versioning. If you do decide to try and do some development and want project files for eclipse let me know and I can post the latest ones here.

-Mike
Guilherme Torri


Joined: 09/18/2010 03:33:10
Messages: 5
Offline

Hi Mike,

Appreciate your reply.

I just wanted to have a look first, than I got the snapshot from vue.tufts.edu/
I managed to compile it on Linux. The build ended up on the MacDist directory, but it doesn't matter... It worked.

My personal machine runs openSUSE, and at my work I have WinXP available.
I am waiting for a new release o MacBooks to get one.

It seems that VUE runs smoother on Mac, is it true?
Why the installed VUE on Windows has 200MB? If the generic JAR has only 30MB and runs ok? (I even run the same JAR on Win and Linux without problems)

Well, well, so many questions...
First I will explore (Doxigen) a bit the code. It's been a while since I last put my hands on Java... Let's see if I can handle.
Soon I will sync with the svn...
Maybe I will try Eclipse, do you think the project files will work over here?

On which platforms are the developers working?
With ANT can we cross compile for any platform, or each platform need a special dedicate setup?
What is the policy/schedule for stable releases?

Presently I am using VUE with Zotero to sort out several papers an create Pathways on top of them.
I am doing some extensive literature research and I like to map the titles with figures, authors and a sort of timeline, plus important tags.
For the time I just use the Applet to dump the data. I have serious glitches (graphical artifacts, weird resizing of rendered map... I will take a screenshot) mainly on Windows (even with the latest JRE).

A second problem is with the Applet is that it is not importing the dataset. Linux works 90% of the time, Windows not working at all (https://vue-forums.uit.tufts.edu/posts/list/713.page#3491)
As a workaround I just send the data to VUE and intercept the .xml created on the Firefox profile.
After I import it again on VUE as a new dataset. In the configurations I need to tweak the "Item Path" so that if finds the correct xml fields. I need to close/open VUE to have the dataset refreshed.
Well, I miss the export of relations.... but my Zotero collection is not yet fully inter-related.
The applet is sweet, just besides Zotero both inside Firefox, but at this point it seems more reliable just to export from Zotero, and map in VUE. How it works on Mac?

I will spend some time to learn VUE/code...
If you have some further intro/hints/tutorial/docu to bootstrap new developers please let me know.

Regards,
Guilherme

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/26/2011 16:19:26

Mike Korcynski

[Avatar]

Joined: 08/08/2008 11:36:13
Messages: 749
Offline



>I managed to compile it on Linux. The build ended up on the MacDist directory, but it doesn't matter... It worked.

If you run ant all I'm pretty sure there should be a VUE.jar in src/build?

>It seems that VUE runs smoother on Mac, is it true?

The majority of users are on windows, we had some additional native code for tie-in on the mac but it doesn't work on Snow Leopard because of the deprecation of the Java-Cocoa bridge.

>Why the installed VUE on Windows has 200MB? If the generic JAR has only 30MB and runs ok? (I even run the same JAR on Win and Linux without problems)

The Windows install packages a JRE that's known-good mostly for people who may not have java.


> Maybe I will try Eclipse, do you think the project files will work over here?

Yes, they should.

> On which platforms are the developers working?

Windows + Mac

> With ANT can we cross compile for any platform, or each platform need a special dedicate setup?

You can Cross-compile for any all the platforms

> What is the policy/schedule for stable releases?

We do nightly dev builds, we should have VUE 3.1 out soon, then we'll reassess a schedule for VUE 3.1+

>Presently I am using VUE with Zotero to sort out several papers an create Pathways on top of them.
>I am doing some extensive literature research and I like to map the titles with figures, authors and a sort of timeline, plus important tags.
>For the time I just use the Applet to dump the data. I have serious glitches (graphical artifacts, weird resizing of rendered map... I will take a screenshot) mainly on Windows >(even with the latest JRE).

Screenshot would be helpful. Applet has some repaint issues i think if the scrollpane is off the browser window at all or overlapped by anything.

>A second problem is with the Applet is that it is not importing the dataset. Linux works 90% of the time, Windows not working at all (https://vue-forums.uit.tufts.edu/posts/list/713.page#3491)

I've been unable to get to tracking this problem down unfortunately. It is on the list though.

>As a workaround I just send the data to VUE and intercept the .xml created on the Firefox profile.
>After I import it again on VUE as a new dataset. In the configurations I need to tweak the "Item Path" so that if finds the correct xml fields. I need to close/open VUE to have the >dataset refreshed.

I've seen this problem, I thought I'd fixed it but I need to check.

>Well, I miss the export of relations.... but my Zotero collection is not yet fully inter-related.
>The applet is sweet, just besides Zotero both inside Firefox, but at this point it seems more reliable just to export from Zotero, and map in VUE. How it works on Mac?

Java in the browser on the mac is generally not as good as windows or linux, hopefully it improves with apple giving up some control of future JRE development.

>I will spend some time to learn VUE/code...
>If you have some further intro/hints/tutorial/docu to bootstrap new developers please let me know.

Sorry for the lag in reply on this, we don't have any great material for new developers but maybe we can use this as an opportunity to put some stuff together. We have someone else doing some work in a branch, I can look back over those discussions and see what was useful.

THanks,
Mike
chanrida kim


Joined: 04/08/2011 07:23:54
Messages: 6
Location: Thailand
Offline

Great answers, thanks for sharing. I hope to see you soon
 
Forum Index » Developers' Corner
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team